2018 Gymkhana Dates:
May 6th Gymkhana
May 19th Flat schooling show - CANCELLED
May 20th Gymkhana
June 16th Flat schooling show
June 17th Gymkhana ** Father's Day pancake breakfast free to all dads
Sept 30th Gymkhana
Contact Shylo Steinke 587-985-7009
When entering a Gymkhana please Include:
• Rider name
• Rider Division
• Horse name
• HCBC number
• Classes entered (to be posted prior to each event)
Rider Age Group as of January 1st 2018
Lead line - no age limit, must have lead rope attached
Buckaroos - 9 and under, no lead rope attached but may be accompanied by an adult
Peewee - 12 years and under
Junior - 13-17 years old
Open - 18 and over
Jack Benny - 39+
Green Horse - Any age horse or rider
*Designed for an inexperienced horse in gymkhana events in first two years of showing with an experienced rider.
Arena open for riding:
8:00am – 8:45am
Cash only paid before entering arena
$20 day rate Family rate
$20 first member $15 second member $10 three or more members from same family
Non members add $10
- You must be a member of Horse Council of British Columbia to use facilities at any time during an event.
- All riders must clean up their poop before leaving premises. Not doing so will result in a penalty of $10.00 that must be paid before entering the next scheduled event.
- All riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet on riding grounds at all times when mounted.
- All horses are to be walked through the Riding Club grounds during an event.
- Always be conscious of other horses and/or people around you at all times; keep your horse a safe distance from other horses and/or spectators.
- No horses are allowed in concession area or spectator area.
- No mistreating or abuse of animals- this includes excessive spurring and/or whipping, lameness, and unnecessary roughness.
- No tying of horses to anything other than specified hitching posts.
- A horse known to kick Must wear a red ribbon in the tail and kept away from other competitors both horses and humans as well as spectators
- All entries are to be PAID IN FULL with the event entry person before entering the arena; NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Gymkhana Committee has the right to refuse entry without refund if rules are violated.
- Order of ride shall be by random draw.
- All riders must ride in order of schedule; however, special consideration will be given to those that must leave early at the discretion of the Gymkhana Committee. You must inform Gymkhana committee at the time of registration.
- If rider or horse becomes injured and cannot finish out the day, rider will not lose points for Year End.
- Contestants should be ready (on deck), and at the gate when your name is called to enter the ring. Riders will be given three calls, if they are not ready to enter arena we will be moving on to the next competitor.
- Arena time limit will be in effect. Riders will be given maximum of 3 minutes in the arena; if they have not completed the course in this time they will be asked to leave the arena.
- If you knock a barrel it will result in no time.
- If you knock a pole it will result in no time.
- If you knock a pole in stakes you will be disqualified.
- If you knock a pole or barrel in the Big T add 5 seconds, but if you knock more than one it will result in no time.
- If you knock a jump in the scurry race Knocking the pole over also results in a no time.
- If you step on or over the line in keyhole is going off pattern and will result in no time.
- Rider will be disqualified for manipulating game equipment. Example reaching out to stand a pole back up.
- A rider will be disqualified if a handler crosses the timer line with the exception of the Lead line class.
- Any rider going off pattern shall be disqualified.
- Re-Rides: Only if the timer malfunctioned, the course was improperly set, there was an interference, or the ground was unsafe.
Gymkhana point system is as follows:
5 or more riders: First 5 points, Second 4 points, Third 3 points, Fourth 2 points, Fifth 1 point
4 riders: First 4 points, second 3 points, third 2 points, fourth 1point
3 riders: First 3 points, second 2 points, third 1 point
Points towards Year end awards are qualified by attending 4 out of the 6 Gymkhanas on the same horse/rider combination. Exceptions are: horse is vetted out, horse is sold or death of horse. Written confirmation is required in order to keep your points for the year.
Fun events do not qualify for points.
Fun events do not qualify for points.
Green Class- this class is designed for an inexperienced horse or inexperienced Rider in gymkhana events with an experienced horse. 2 years max in division for same horse and rider combo . If the rider has comparable race times to the times which are in the appropriate age division for that rider, the rider must move into that age division after competing in no more than one gymkhana. The rider will be informed by the head of the Gymkhana Committee of the decision to move them at the end of the day in which the decision has been made. Points accumulated will be transferred over if rider is asked to move to a different division. Once a horse/rider combo has won the year end high point in the green class they must move out of this division. A younger rider may choose to move up and compete in the next division but may only ride in this division aside from green.
Two people can ride the same horse no matter of age division. One horse may not run more than twice in each event. Riders may compete in 2 different divisions, riding 2 or more horses in one or more divisions, collecting points. Example riding in Jack Benny and Green Horse on two different horses. Riders MUST ride same horse through whole day of the Gymkhana to qualify for points unless lameness occurs. For example you may not ride one horse in barrels, poles, keyhole, scurry, and then ride another horse in stakes.
Manageable stallions may be ridden and handled by adults 19 and over only.
Volunteer requirement ½ an hour: In order to qualify for year-end awards all participants must volunteer minimally at one event. We understand it is difficult to volunteer and ride but this time can be put in before and after gymkhanas, during lunch break, or during a class you are not in. During registration please note when you are available for volunteering. We will need volunteers for such things as setting up and taking down seating, tents, and equipment; a gate person, someone to empty garbage, bottles and cans, or working in the concession.